What’s the easiest way to get happy customers? Great customer service, of course.
This may sound easier said than done, especially in the laundry industry – where businesses such as laundromats can have employees few and far between – but the point remains: Great customer service is an incredibly important aspect of any successful laundry business.
So then, how can you achieve this vital goal? Here are four simple tips to improve customer service at your business:
“Customer service starts with your employees.”
1. Train your team
Customer service can take place in person, online or over the phone. No matter the method, your team has to be ready for a complaint, question or concern. This is especially important in laundromats with fewer employees. You should begin by getting everyone together and going over the emphasis on customer service. Figure out where you interact the most with customers – is it in the store or via technology? Look for areas of weakness and opportunity for growth. Then, go over these elements with your team and brainstorm ways to improve.
2. Improve your communication
The next tip to bolster your customer service is to focus on communication itself. Naturally, this is the key behind any customer relationship, and how you interact with patrons can set you apart from your competitors.
Focus on these elements:
- Methods – Your customers need to be able to communicate with you. If you don’t have full-time staff in store, clearly post phone numbers, email addresses or social media accounts where you can be reached.
- Clarity – Communication needs to be clear and concise. Any time you talk to customers, make sure you are direct and to the point. Don’t skirt away from conflict or a problem.
- Attitude – Most importantly, always take a positive attitude into your customer communications. Don’t be negative or hostile. Focus on the bright side of things and always offer a solution. Also stay mindful of your body language and nonverbal communication.
3. Increase your availability
Nobody likes a store with hard-to-find employees. The same goes for your laundry business, and one of the smartest things you can do is to be a visible leader at your company. This could even involve posting online, such as on social media sites. A regular blog post or video can help you connect with customers, leading to a more positive relationship. In the store itself, keep employees available at all times. If you have a full-time staff, make sure at least one is on the floor or within reach. A small problem can be exacerbated by hard-to-locate staff.
4. Connect with your customers
The last tip is to connect with your customers. Having a bit of common ground can make a big difference during a dispute, but connections can go beyond that. For example, you can shed some light on the behind-the-scenes operations of your laundry business. Post a tour online or write up a biography detailing your own history. The important aspect is adding a face to your business. The more visible you are, the easier it will be to handle customer relations concerns. As an added bonus, improved connections will also make your business more trustworthy and improve the overall feeling of safety.
All in all, customer service can be one of the trickier aspects of running a business, including a laundromat. However, how you interact with your customers will set you apart, and it can have widespread benefits throughout your company. With that in mind, follow these four tips to get off on the right foot.